Panasonic has released the successor of Panasonic FZ200 which was widely known for its 25-600mm constant f2.8 Leica lens. It’s called the Panasonic FZ1000 and it has a whooping 1″ sensor. Panasonic FZ1000 can take 20.1-megapixel stills and has 16x optical zoom (25-400mm equivalent). The f-number changes increases from f2.8 to f4.0 in larger focal lenghs. Panasonic FZ1000 actually goes against Sony RX10 which is already a really good camera. Panasonic FZ-1000 costs 899$/749£ and will be available in end of July. You can Pre-order one of them right here!
The highlight of Panasonic FZ1000 has to be ability to shoot 4K videos at 30fps with 100Mbps bitrate. This is the first compact camera to feature 4K video recording . 8MP stills can also be extracted from the video itself. Videos can also be recorded in 1080p in 24fps, 30fps and 60fps. 1″ sensor is big enough for taking great stills and videos and 20MP makes sure that photos look great even when zoomed all the way in while photo editing.
The camera sure is bigger than compact cameras but it makes sense as it features a bigger sensor and long zoom range. In fact this camera is bigger than most Micro Four Third (MFT) cameras like the Panasonic G6 which too has exceptional video capabilities.
The key features of Panasonic FZ-1000 are as follows:
- 1″ CMOS sensor (Mostly the same as that of Sony RX-100 Mark III)
- 16x Optical Zoon (25-400mm equivalent ) fixed lens
- AF linear motor with light speed auto focus technology (0.09 seconds)
- $K Video recording @ 30FPS 100Mbps Bitrate
- 8MP Stills can be extracted from 4K Video
- Depth from Defocus(DFD) technology for fast focus during Video Recording
- EVF is 2.36 million dot-inch organic EL 0.39
- A monitor 920,000 dot 3.0-inch
- 12 fps continuous shooting
- Build-In Wi-Fi and NFC
- Focus peaking for professional manual focus, ring type manual focus
- RAW Capture
- 3.5mm Mic Input Socket
- 3″ Articulating Screen
- Standard Hot-Shoe
This camera is for those who want a very capable super zoom camera in an affordable price range. This may not be cheap by any means in comparison to other bridge camera but it’s bigger sensor and high quality lens justifies its high price. It’s closest competitor is Sony RX-10 which cost 1,299$ during its launch. In comparison Panasonic FZ1000 costs only 899$ and will be available in the end of July. You can pre-order one right here!